Friday 27 April 2012

My Face: My Choice


This piece can also be found on www.TheDetour.co.uk. Visit the site for fashion, beauty and entertainment features and news pieces as well as spa reviews and competitions

My Face: My Choice

Like many women, as I’ve aged I’ve come to associate a high price tag with a high quality when it comes to my cosmetics. This is perhaps not surprising in my line of work – I often get to play with fabulous products I’d never be able to afford myself – but every so often a brand comes along which proves to be the absolute exception to the rule and I have to now put my hand up and admit to following in the path of many a celebrity chickybabe (Gwyneth Paltrow being among the number) and jumping on the myface bandwagon.
Described as a ‘foolproof colour collection for the 21st century,’ myface comprises three complete makeup ranges designed for specific skin tones – fair, medium and medium/dark. Each assortment offers complimentary cosmetics to complete your perfect look, covering everything from foundations, concealers and powders to blushers, eyeshadow and nail polish. Each product is fashioned to bring out the best of your natural attributes, while providing an almost tailor-made colour scheme specifically for you. And yet, for all of this, the most expensive item within the range is £12.99, which instantly sets my snobbish little brain into a cynical cycle.
Now, I’m not what you might consider to be of classic appearance and I don’t fit well within any of the myface profiles – I may be ivory skinned, but I am fair in no other way – think Twilight vampire pale with Anne Hathaway hair (without the great styling!) and dark blue eyes, a celeb comparison for which I’m struggling to find, so the baby pinks and soft browns suggested to suit my skin tone by the myface website would not be my natural choice. Still, I like a good kit to play with, so I thought I’d give them a go.

I based my selection on the Fair 01 foundation and moved on from there, blithely picking all the recommended accoutrements before plonking myself in front of a mirror. While not perhaps a look I would have imagined working for me, I was actually pleasantly surprised by the result: a softly glowing complexion with subtle, gentle highlights. The foundation is thin and buildable without being watery or greasy and covered my skin well (although it would possibly not fare so well on blemish-prone or greasy skin), providing a sound base for the other products to glide on to. The effect is light and natural, leaving you looking fresh and clean without being ‘made up’. While not ‘pretty’, the simple yet effective packaging allowed for a quick and flawless application, with only the eyeshadow causing any pause – like most others, it required some working before use, but everything else went on like a dream. Most pleasingly of all however, is that it seems to be pretty smudge resistant – sitting in front of a computer all day, I have the terrible habit of resting my face on my hands while I think and yet I was still patch-free at the end of the day, which is impressive for any makeup brand.

myface cosmetics start at £5.99 and are available from Boots and online at www.myfacecosmetics.co.uk and www.amazon.co.uk. 


Love myface? Share your thoughts!


© Purple Peccadilloes

No comments:

Post a Comment