Wednesday 7 March 2012

Jane Eyre (DVD Review)


This piece can also be found on http://www.ReviewedOnline.co.uk.

Jane Eyre (DVD Review)


Released to DVD and Blu-ray on March 12th, just in time for Mother’s Day, Cary Fukunaga’s re-interpretation of Jane Eyre is one of those films that I’ve been looking forward to with a small degree of torment – would it live up to the much-cherished novel? I avoided the cinema release to prevent myself turning into one of those annoying ‘THAT didn’t happen in the book’ types, so when I was sent a preview copy of the disc I sat before it with something approaching trepidation.
I must admit that when it comes to the classic greats I am something of a purist – tamper with Jane Austen at your peril! – so with Charlotte Bronte’s crowning glory Fukunaga had a lot to live up to. Moving away from a linear telling, the film opens with a heartbroken Jane (Mia Wasikowska) fleeing Thornfield Hall across a suitably bleak and dramatic countryside, before returning to the back story of cruelty and crueller disappointment.

Jane Eyre is beautifully shot, peppered with gothic architecture, fabulously austere landscaping and warmly realistic lighting, all brought to life by a deeply evocative score, which makes it a pleasure to view. Missed pivotal scenes will not go down well with true Bronte-ites, but if you are not overly familiar with the book, this makes for a compelling retelling of one of English languages greatest novels.
While Michael Fassbender makes for an appealing Mr Rochester he doesn’t quite deliver the characters famed brusqueness and, for me, Mia Wasikowska’s Jane lacks a little of the archness that Rochester was meant to find so alluring – after all, Jane is meant to be plain, but nowhere in the text do I remember it detailed that she never smiled. But, for those not obsessed with the novel, I must admit that they play their parts admirably and dear Dame Judi Dench makes a wonderful Mrs Fairfax, even if she does forget to disapprove of the burgeoning Master/Servant relationship. 
As for me, well, I think that an extra 15 minutes of rapport building could have really made this film – I found the progression from ignored governess to adored lover too abrupt and rather startling – and I missed the immortal Reader, I married him ending, but with only one minor ‘That didn’t happen...’ scene to complain of, I can’t be too critical and am certain that I’ll be watching this film again.
Jane Eyre will make for the ideal Mother’s Day gift when it is released on Blu-ray & DVD on 12 March 2012.

Blu-ray & DVD details
Title: Jane Eyre
Certificate: 12
Run Time: 120 mins approx
Genre: Romance/Drama
RRP Blu-ray: £26.99
RRP DVD: £19.99

Production information

Directed by: Cary Fukunaga
Written by: Charlotte Brontë (novel), Moira Buffini (Screenplay)
Starring: Mia Wasikowska, Judi Dench, Jamie Bell, Michael Fassbender

© Purple Peccadilloes

No comments:

Post a Comment